- 125g butter, chopped
- 3/4 cup (150g) firmly packed brown sugar
- 50g dark chocolate, chopped coarsely
- 1/2 cup (125ml) water
- 1/4 cup (60ml) dark rum
- 1/4 cup (30g) coarsely chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup (75g) dried currants
- 1 cup (160g) sultanas
- 1 cup (170g) coarsely chopped raisins
- 1/4 cup (40g) mixed peel
- 3/4 cup (40 g) plain flour
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp self-raising flour
- 1/2 teaspoon mixed spice
- 2 eggs, beaten lightly
- 80g dark chocolate, melted, extra
- 1/4 cup (60g) sour cream
Preheat oven to slow. Grease 20cm-ring pan; line base with baking paper.
Combine butter, sugar, chocolate and the water in medium saucepan; stir over heat until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat; stir in rum, walnuts and fruit. Add sifted dry ingredients and egg; stir until combined.
Spoon mixture into prepared pan; bake in slow oven about 1 hour. Cool cake in pan.
Just before serving, combine cooled extra chocolate and sour cream in small bowl; stir until smooth. Turn cake onto serving plate, top-side up; spread chocolate mixture over top of cake.