- 60 ml (4 tbsp) thin honey
- 15 ml ( 1 tbsp) Dijon mustard
- 1.6-1.8 kg (3 1/2 -4 lb) precooked corner gammon joint (see note)
- about 10 cloves
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) sesame seeds
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) white mustard seeds
- 25 g (1 oz) flaked almonds
- pickled pears, to garnish (optional)
Mix together the honey and Dijon mustard.
With a sharp knife, carefully strip the rind from the cooked gammon joint and score the fat. Place in a roasting tin. Press the cloves into the scored fat and brush with half the honey and mustard glaze.
Add the sesame seeds, mustard seeds and almonds to the glaze aad press onto the fat. Cook at 200°C (400°F) mark 6 for about 15 minutes. Serve hot or cold carved into slices, with pickled pears, if desired.
Note: If you prefer to cook the gammon at home rather than fear it precooked, place the joint in a roasting tin on a bed of bay leaves. Season well with black pepper. Add 300 ml ( 1/2 pint) water md cover with foil. Cook at 180°C (350°F) mark 4 for 20 minutes per 450 g (1 lb), turning the gammon over once during cooking. Continue as above.
Pickled Pears: To pickle pears, poach 450 g (1 lb) peeled firm pears in 300 ml ( 1/2 pint) water, with 60 ml (4 tbsp) honey and 15 ml (1 tbsp) white wine white vinegar until tender.