- 550g ( 1 1/4 lb) thick-cut cod fillet or monkfish tail, skinned
- 350 g (12 oz) onion, peeled
- 1 large green pepper
- 45 ml (3 tbsp) oil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) flour
- 400 g (14 oz) can chopped tomatoes with herbs
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) tomato puree
- 2.5 ml ( 1/2 tsp) dried marjoram
- salt and pepper
Roughly chop the onion. Halve the green pepper, remove the seeds, then chop roughly.
Heat the oil in a medium casserole. Add the onion and saute for 3-4 minutes until beginning to brown. Stir in the green pepper and garlic and saute for a further 2-3 minutes.
Mix in the flour, cook for 1 minute, then stir in the tomatoes, tomato puree, marjoram and plenty of seasoning. Bring to the boil, stirring.
Cut the fish into eight even pieces and add to the casserole. Baste with the sauce mixture.
Cover tightly and bake at 180°C (350°F) mark 4 for about 30 minutes or until the fish is just beginning to flake apart. Serve with pasta tossed in pesto, or with crusty bread.