- 1 small baguette
- 225 g (8 oz) mozzarella cheese
- 175 g (6 oz) ripe tomatoes
- 60 ml (4 tbsp) black olive paste (tapenade) or finely chopped, pitted black olives
- 75 g (3 oz) thinly sliced salami, cooked ham or pastrami
- Tomato Vinaigrette :
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) red wine vinegar
- 75 ml (5 tbsp) olive oil
- 10 ml (2 tsp) tomato puree
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) finely chopped red onion
- few drops of Tabasco sauce
- pinch of caster sugar
- salt and pepper
- To Serve:
- basil leaves
- celery tops
- marinated olives
Cut the baguette into about 12 slices. Lightly toast on both sides. Slice the mozzarella and tomatoes.
Spread one side of each slice of bread with olive paste. Wrap a slice of mozzarella and a slice of tomato in two slices of salami and place on top of the bread.
Whisk together the ingredients for the dressing.
Arrange the toasts on a bed of basil, celery tops and olives. Serve the dressing separately.