- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large or 2 small pheasants
- 1 carrot , chopped finely
- 1 small onion, chopped finely
- 2 celery sticks, chopped
- 75g (3 oz) mushrooms, chopped finely
- 2 tbsp flour
- 900 ml (1 1/2 pints) chicken stock
- 300 ml (1/2 pint) red wine
- 1 tsp tomato puree
- bouquet garni of bay leaf, thyme and parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
- watercress to garnish
Rub 2 tablespoons of the oil over the pheasants and season with salt and pepper. Cook in a preheated oven, 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6, for 25 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil in a pan, add the vegetables and saute for 5 minutes. Stir in the flour and cook for 2 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients and bring to the boil, stirring. Simmer for 15 minutes.
Cut the pheasants in half along the backbone, or into quarters if using 1 large pheasant.
Strain the sauce over the pheasants and return to the oven for 20-30 minutes or until cooked. Garnish with watercress to serve.