- 125g butter, chopped
- 1/2 cup (110 g) caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup (100g) self-raising flour
- 1/3 cup (50g) plain flour
- 1 tbsp milk
- 3 medium granny smith apples (450g)
- 1/2 cup (160g) apricot jam, warmed
- BRANDY BUTTERSCOTCH SAUCE
- 1/2 cup (100g) firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (125ml) thickened cream
- 100g butter, chopped
- 2 tbsp brandy
Preheat oven to moderately slow. Grease and line base and sides of two 8cm x 25cm bar cake pans.
Beat butter and sugar in small bowl with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, beating until combined between each addition. Stir in sifted flours and milk; spread mixture into prepared pans.
Peel, core and halve apples; slice halves thinly. Push apple slices gently into surface of cake mixture.
Brush apple with strained jam; bake cakes in moderately slow oven about 40 minutes. Stand cakes 10 minutes; turn, top-side up, onto wire rack to cool. Serve pieces of cake warm, drizzled with brandy butterscotch sauce.
Brandy Butterscotch Sauce Combine ingredients in small saucepan. Stir over heat, without boiling, until sugar dissolves; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, without stirring, about 3 minutes or until mixture thickens slightly.